One of the most wonderful parts of the holidays is enjoying all of the festive snacks and sweets, and we think that your horse should get to partake, too! Treat your horse to something special with these adorable and delicious cookies that look like people holding peppermints (your horse’s favorite thing to see!) You’ll have fun making them, plus, an extra batch makes for a great personal gift to any equestrian on your list!
- 5 cups flour *oat flour is a great option because of its nutritional benefits, but regular all-purpose works as well
- ½ cup ground flax or flax meal
- ½ cup golden sugar or brown sugar (packed)
- about 2 cups molasses
- mini candy canes and/or peppermint puffs
- optional: royal icing for extra decorating!
- Line two or more baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 325º.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Then, slowly add in the molasses until a thick dough is formed. Cool in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- Flour a surface and a rolling pin and roll out your dough to about ⅛-¼ inch thick. Using a gingerbread man cookie cutter, cut out as many cookie people as you can. Place on the prepared baking sheets about 1 inch apart.
- Using tin foil, make small balls about 1 inch in diameter. Place one ball on each person’s “chest” and fold the arms up around the foil ball. You may need to press the arms into the foil a bit to keep them in place.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, until the cookies are dry to the touch.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Replace the foil balls with peppermint puffs and/or candy canes (you can even use a dot of royal icing to help hold them in place).